Friday, January 22, 2010

mappin' it

So I received the free London cycle maps in the post last week.  I've been looking over them and attempting to memorise the routes (I don't want to look like a tourist by pulling over and getting out my massive maps- it's a faux pas!)

Routes are clearly mapped out by colour.  Yellow is for quieter roads recommended for cyclists.  Blue is routes signed for cyclists that may be on busier roads.  Brown indicates there are provisions for cyclists adjacent to busy roads.  Light green is routes through parks.  Dark green is for canal paths.
I think the main thing is to remember visual landmarks, so I've been making mental notes for these at each turning.

But the most genius thing on these maps (which appeals to my sense of humour) is the Mayor's introduction...
"Cycling is a splendid way to discover London, which is a beautiful and diverse city with a wealth of both iconic sights and unique hidden gems.
More and more people are becoming switched on to the joys of cycling, and this guide will help you to join them- exploring some of the thousands of short cuts and little known routes that open up new and exciting sides of the city.
As a keen cyclist myself I know that London can provide some trully stunning biking experiences.  I hope this guide helps you enjoy cycling as much as I do."

Too true Boris...too true!

No comments:

Post a Comment